Saturday, June 11, 2005

Preface

A preface is supposed to tell you something about the contents of the book you're about to read. This preface, on the other hand, will tell you about my writing experiences.

When I was a real kid, I spent a lot of time trying to write perfect Chinese characters in my assignments.

In high school, I participated in a Chinese composition contest where I was the first place winner. The other competitors include the son of Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian ( then Taipei City mayor).

I enjoyed writing term papers for my introductory drama courses during college years. One of my favorite topics for brainstorming was the interaction between characters' language and scenes in Shakespeare's works.

After college, I went to journalism school for a change. Some people may think journalism school is a complete waste of time for young and aspiring journalists. They say that learning by doing real job is better than a cloistered J-school education.

Fortunately, I didn't waste my time at the Graduate Institute of Journalism, National Taiwan University. I wrote some short pieces for radio and TV broadcast during my summer internships at ETFM radio station and Chinese Television System. I learned to work under pressure of deadlines and mingle with some interesting people.

To graduate, I wrote my master's thesis on urban only children with an immature journalistic perspective. I interviewed many more interesting people throughout the process.

After J-school, I joined the Taiwanese army. Being an antitank platoon leader, I got the unusual chance to learn some technical terms related to guided missiles. I also began to develop a fondness for quality science and technology journalism. Science journalism such as Newton and Scientific American really offer opportunities to contribute to public understanding of the sciences and our environment.

I want to be a part of this special kind of journalism.

No comments:

Southern Chinese Daily News